News & Updates
. Zimbabwe, October 2007
. Zimbabwe, November 2007
. Zimbabwe, December 2007
. Zimbabwe, January 2008
. Zimbabwe, February 2008
. Zimbabwe, MarchApril 2008
. Zimbabwe, June 2008
. Zimbabwe, July 2008
. Zimbabwe, August 2008
. Zimbabwe, September 2008
. Zimbabwe, October 2008
. Zimbabwe, November 2008
Team and volunteers with snared kudu
Early morning Kalambeza 3Cº
Team after a successful clean up
operation in ‘Chimwara’ Farm
Zimbabwe, Newsletter August 2009
The poaching season seems to have started. After Ilma, our foundation’s
secretary had left on the 1st of this month, we prepared for an operation we
had in our heads for some time, the sweeping of the ‘Shangani River’.
We have to plan these sort of operations since the ‘Shangani’ is a bit further
than our ‘normal’ area. This means for instance slaughtering a cow to fill our
freezer and make sure we are able to fill our stomachs during the patrols
that are ever getting warmer now.(At the end of this month the thermometer
starts at 5C in the morning to go to well over 30C in the afternoon). Maize
has top be grinded and a trip to Bulawayo made to sort out some admin. It’s
quite some work to streamline a proper operation.
On Monday 17th of August ’09 we went. For at least a week we would be
bush camping and so we did. Main aim was to access the situation from the
‘Gwayi-Shangani’ dam up to the Lupane village communal Lands in the East.
Second was to arrest poachers if there was a quick opportunity, since this
(ambush) can be a time consuming type of work and it could mean that we
would not be able to access the whole distance.
Our tactic was as usual; We make as few as possible contact with the outside
world and are completely ‘self sufficient’.
Our suspicion (a lot of poaching) proved to be right; Within 3 days we
already collected 200 snares from the forest!
After 5 days they had become 338! 100 of these snares were set for birds
like Guinea fowls (the only victim we found in them however was a scrub
The other 238 were set for mammals, from small to large, but the one strand
snares (for bush buck and Impala) were more abundant this time.
Eleven victims were found under which Buffalo’s, Impala, Bush bucks, Bush
Pig, Porcupine and Scrub Hare. A successful operation which we will repeat in
the future, whereby we might change the aim to sweeping (cleaning) in
combination with arresting (ambush). Also several dozens of ‘Mopani’ trees
Other good news to mention is that the fines for poaching wild animals have
been changed from the Zimbabwe Dollar to the US dollar. This will make our
work more effective and probably preventive.
A fine for the poaching of an elephant for an example, is now US$20.000,-
and bail will not be granted (ivory) Some other examples of fines are:
Buffalo bull $6.000,- ; Duicker ordanary $400,-; Giant Eland $2.000,-; Bush
Buck $500,-; Bush Pig $500,-; Impala $500,-; Kudu $1.000,-; Lion $5.000,-
and for Rhinoceros $ 120.000,-.
We hope that these fines Will have a positive effect on the amount of
At the end of this month we were again visited by very interested visitors
from ‘Save’ who we took for a (almost usual..) ‘tour in the jungle’.
A busy but satisfying month and we are looking forward to the next one.
‘Mopani ‘ poles, illegally cut
Poached juvenile female Bush
Successful patrol ‘Shangani